Fedora comments (was: [PLUG] Copying text from pdf)

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Sun Oct 19 19:51:02 UTC 2003

Keith Nasman said:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 03:50:00PM -0700, Dan Young wrote:
>> Keith Nasman said:
>> > I'd like to know if these core releases will require downing the
>> machine, inserting the CD, upgrading and then rebooting.
>>
>> Naw. Just upgrade the fedora-release package and "yum update" or
>> "apt-get dist-upgrade" or "up2date -u". Perhaps restart services
>> for glibc updates.
>>

> Good deal. Is up2date getting better about restarting services when
> you upgrade? A friend of mine found out the hard way with the
> slapper virus. openssl was updated but apache wasn't restarted.

I think this has come up on the list before, with the rational for not
restarting services automatically being that you can schedule the
downtime (however brief) if done manually.

Most of Redhat's security advisory end with a statement like: "After
the errata packages are installed, restart the Web service by running
(as root) the following command: /sbin/service httpd restart"

Also, say my web servers have passphrases on the SSL certificates. If
httpd restarts, I have to re-enter the passphrase, which will be
difficult to do if it's a 2AM scheduled upgrade via RHN, etc.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District