[PLUG] Ahh, mostly figured out my firewall problems...

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Mon Oct 20 11:23:01 UTC 2003

I wanted to be able to nmap a gateway from another one going into
the same public subnet.  I made this possible by allowing the
other gateway to probe ports 1 to 65535, though it took a little
thought to come up with that. Figuring out I had to allow the
output to go back took watching the log.  The other mistake I
made was to add my web browsing chains to themselves instead
of to input and output.  Couldn't figure out why I could get
dns but couldn't web browse.

Now that I have my two gateways working again, I'm still at
a loss on how to get my clients to dynamically receive two
routers at two different metrics and switch when the primary
is off to the secondary without zebra or some other dynamic
protocol.  If I manually configure a Redhat box, I can use
two static routes to implement two default gateways at
different metrics.  BTW, does anyone know where a document
that explains the syntax of that file is?  I hope this
doesn't involve manual configuration of Windows.  Can
dhcp3 distribute multiple routers with multiple metrics?

     --  Michael C Robinson