[PLUG] RE: BTTV and compiling modules, following threads, (not NTFS)

Zot O'Connor zot at whiteknighthackers.com
Mon Oct 20 14:19:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 13:52, Scott Chapman wrote:
> On Monday 20 October 2003 12:39, Zot O'Connor wrote:
> > I just "added" ntfs to a few RH9 systems.
> <snipped a lot of work>
>
> Just go here and get the RPM and install the kernel module from RPM:
> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html
>
> I did this last nite so I could read a NTFS hard drive on my RH 9 system and
> it worked fine.

Yes, but please follow the thread or change the subject line.  The
question was on compiling new V4L drivers a dealing with bttv, not
ntfs.  The question was "can I compile new modules without compile a new
kernel."

I used ntfs as an example.  Feel free to post helpful links in the
correct thread, it makes searching so much easier for people.

BTW the ntfs site really should have the instructions for compiling rpm
compliant modules since they do it themselves.  I tried to find it on
there and they have two set of instructions:

1)  Compile your own full kernel.
2)  Use our rpms.

They are the prime example of a device you might want to not use the
stock ntfs module.  They have made some upgrades to the ntfs module.
Instead they have a you run a script which does a bunch of odd things,
whereas the listed steps are pretty straight forward.