[PLUG] Extra holidays January 2004

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Oct 20 23:05:03 UTC 2003

Since we will not be having a Plug meeting Thursday January 1 2004,
may I suggest a small schedule change, perhaps another party for
those of you with a few bottles left over from New Years?

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, Linus Torvalds will be 2^30 seconds
old.  Depending on time of day he was born on December 28, 1969
in Helsinki, + 3 hrs 37 minutes to PST.

On Saturday, January 10, 2004, at 0537PST the Epoch of Unix
(starting January 1, 1970 UTC) will be 2^30 seconds old.

A party spanning both these times would be quite an event ... :-)

BTW, On November 2, 2004, Beaverton, Oregon (platted December 26,
1868), the home town of the Open Source Development Labs ( Linus's
employer) will be 2^32 seconds old.  With luck, it will do like an
unsigned int32, roll over, and turn into a swamp again. :-)

These dates computed  with the aid of the Gigasecond Server at
http://www.araneus.fi/gigasecond/

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993