[PLUG] Rsync Backup Solution over SSH

Felix Lee felix.1 at canids.net
Tue Oct 21 12:54:01 UTC 2003

Kyle Hayes <kyle at silverbeach.net>:
> Rsync is fine if you have a lot of files that are in one of the two categories
> below:
> 1) they are small,
> 2) they are not renamed.

efficient renames could probably be added to rsync.  just a
matter of picking a reasonable efficiency tradeoff.  (this is
something I've been thinking about because it's annoying when
renaming a directory causes rsync to retransmit every file under
that directory.)

for big database-sized files... there are a couple tunable
parameters that might help.  in an ideal world, rsync would
automatically adapt its strategy to the relative speeds of your
network and disk and cpu.