[PLUG] Rsync Backup Solution over SSH

Zot O'Connor zot at whiteknighthackers.com
Tue Oct 21 14:10:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 13:41, Russell Senior wrote:

> What the rsync solution was missing the last time I looked was a
> --dry-run (or similar) option that would report how much disk space
> you needed to make your snapshot, so that you had a target number you
> could use to free adequate space.

man rsync | grep dry-run
        -n, --dry-run               show what would have been
transferred

rsync -a -x -u -dry-run XXXXXX YYYYYY
wrote 2145 bytes  read 316 bytes  4922.00 bytes/sec
total size is 5555271  speedup is 2257.32

That might not quite what you want, but with du -s and a little math, it
should work.

--
Zot O'Connor

http://www.ZotConsulting.com