[PLUG] Rsync Backup Solution over SSH

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Oct 21 14:36:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Zot" == Zot O'Connor <zot at whiteknighthackers.com> writes:

Russell> What the rsync solution was missing the last time I looked
Russell> was a --dry-run (or similar) option that would report how
Russell> much disk space you needed to make your snapshot, so that you
Russell> had a target number you could use to free adequate space.

Zot> man rsync | grep dry-run -n, --dry-run show what would have been
Zot> transferred

Zot> rsync -a -x -u -dry-run XXXXXX YYYYYY wrote 2145 bytes read 316
Zot> bytes 4922.00 bytes/sec total size is 5555271 speedup is 2257.32

Zot> That might not quite what you want, but with du -s and a little
Zot> math, it should work.

Maybe I blacked out temporarily, but when I tried --dry-run with the
--link-dest magic a week or two ago, it didn't seem to work for me.

--
Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
seniorr at aracnet.com      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have