[PLUG] Rsync for backup - logrotate again ...

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Tue Oct 21 20:36:02 UTC 2003

Keith Lofstrom said:
> Another way to eliminate excess storage is to use Maildir rather
> than Mbox format for mail.  This eliminates much of the
> "incrementing big file" problem.
>
> One remaining P.I.T.A. is the .db files made by my current
> bogofilter   setup.  When I save a mail file, or chuck it into the
> spam bin, I  run it through bogofilter training.  Both the
> bogofilter .db files get updated.  As they are running towards 90MB
> now, this means another full copy gets saved at every backup.
> Unless I come up with a better way to do it, I will probably just
> turn off the training for a while.

Y'all are working too hard at this. Go look at
http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu

rdiff-backup provides a mirror of a backed up directory while also
allowing an arbitrary number of incrementals. It uses rdiff from
librsync (think rsync algorithm) to intelligently reverse diff
binaries which helps deal w/ incrementing big files, DBs, etc.

It's behavior regarding renamed files is the same as rsync, e.g. the
file is copied again. Bummer.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District