[PLUG] GAIM and MSN

Jason Van Clere jason at vancleve.com
Wed Oct 22 10:17:02 UTC 2003

Thus spoke AthlonRob, on Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:32:13 -0700:

> What about just using the Jabber.org or Jabber.com servers?

Well, in general terms, my ICQ number will last, theoretically, as long as ICQ itself lasts.  That may or may not be true of jabber.org/com.  But more than that, it's to the idea of having anyone else's domain in my ID that I object.  I think email is flawed in that regard, too.  ('Course, I'm such a purist, I think all the TLD names should go away as well, so we can just have http://google/.)

I really think a personal identifier should be personal and permanent, as in my perfect world.  If you can show me why that just won't work (without centralized, commercial support), then I'll consider going to jabber.

--Jason V. C.