[PLUG] GAIM and MSN

Jason Van Clere jason at vancleve.com
Wed Oct 22 10:33:02 UTC 2003

Thus spoke Robert Munro, on Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:09:36 -0700:

> Secure Internet Live Conferencing (SILC) at http://www.silcnet.org .

Interesting, but I don't see how this enables a globally unique identifier, as with ICQ.  It's completely decentralized, no?

(Of course, the idea is to be able to meet someone in a bar and say, "Look for me on [Jason's-perfect-world-IM-protocol].  My nick is zaphod42."  And that would do it.  No connecting to a specific network a la IRC; and if I had given my nick to someone eight years prior, they could still find me, etc., etc. . . .)

--Jason V. C.