[PLUG] Rsync for backup - logrotate again ...

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Oct 22 10:50:02 UTC 2003

Felix> Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com>:
>> Try a "slow rename": ln old-name new-name rsync -a -H [...] src
>> dest rm old-name rsync -a -H [...] src dest Presto-chango?  Or not?

Felix> won't be helpful for renaming/moving directories, like mv
Felix> ~/cumshots ~/art/cumshots

As Dan pointed out, the "slow rename" scheme I suggested only works
when you have the cooperation of the renamer.  On a desktop, that
might often be the case.  For an adminstrator of "users", it isn't
going to be practical.

For your particular example, if you have a cooperative user, you can
use:
      cp -al ~/cumshots ~/art/cumshots
      rsync -a -H [...] src dest
      rm -rf ~/cumshots
      rsync -a -H [...] src dest

--
Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
seniorr at aracnet.com      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have