[PLUG] intel inbuisiness print station compatibility

Aaron Burt aaron at speakeasy.org
Wed Oct 22 15:24:01 UTC 2003

On 21 Oct 2003, Mike De La Mater wrote:

> I've got an Intel InBusiness Print Station I got at Free Geek a long
> time ago. It's installed on a mixed-OS network here in my home office.
>
> I cannot get it working under RH or Libranet.
>
> It works under XP and 98 fine.

Cool.  I hear it's '486-based.  Just install Linux on it. ;)

Since I've used the old Intel NetPort thingies to good effect, I got
curious about your problem, and asked Google.  What a flashback from my
ol' Novell/Microsoft tech days.  After working with JetDirects for several
years, I'd forgotten how wonky these things could be:
http://www.intel.com/support/inbusiness/printstation/30090.htm
Amusingly, NetWare IPX users were expected to install TCP/IP or NetBEUI to
use it, and DOS or Windows 3.x users were SOL.

But on TCP/IP it uses a seekrit protocol known as "FTP":
http://www.linuxprinting.org/pipermail/general-list/2003q2/003932.html
According to this, you pipe the print output to an FTP client that uploads
it to the filename LPT1: or LPT2:.