[PLUG] Microsoft Earnings Report

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Oct 23 14:03:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Carla Schroder wrote:
> The "news" media keeps throwing that $40 billion in the bank figure.

I seem to recall that back when I was working for Wieden + Kennedy, they
had something like $96B in the bank.  That's not the mark of a profitable
company, I don't think.

> But if you're the kind of wonk who likes to read SEC filings and annual
> reports, then you'd know that for several years now the only profit
> centers have been windoze, office, and their investment portfolio.
> They've been pouring money into all kinds of money-sucking new projects,
> like Xbox, MSN, and lord knows what all.

Windows and Office (and PRIMARILY Office, interestingly enough) have
always been the only "profit centers" at M$.

Before XBox and MSN, there was Sidewalk, which cost a FORTUNE.  Oh, and
Bob.

There are lots of ways in which the company is simply not well-run...
being grossly immoral (and possibly amoral) is only one of them.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net