[PLUG] Microsoft Earnings Report

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Oct 23 17:40:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, guy1656 wrote:
> Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> : On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, guy1656 wrote:
> : > What I wanna do is AMORTIZE the social obligations, and retire socially
> : > paid-up-in-advance.
> : I don't think you could ever possibly repay humanity for the enormous work
> : that was put into the knowledge and experience you have gained from
> : civilization.
>
> I think otherwise - that if it's a defined fact that you cannot win,
> then it's a foolish dissipation to even try to play.

Huh?  There are purposes to do things other than winning and losing.  And
this isn't a GAME.

You can't ever pay it all back, so you shouldn't try?

You can't ever be perfect, so should you stop trying to be the best you
can?

So your perfect world not only contains no responsibilities, but also no
effort?

> Better to channel one's available talent into endeavors which best seem
> achievable.

This is a recipe for mediocrity.

> I believe that it's possible to be 'paid-up' socially. One phrase which
> comes to mind is being free enough that you owe no one even the time of
> day. This is a freedom which means that the courtesy & assistence you
> extend to others is entirely of your free will, as opposed to in
> exchange for a wage or a tax payment, or a mortgage owed, or a grudge.

It's already of your own free will.

As for "the law", I don't give a fig for that.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net