[PLUG] Apache And French Characters

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Thu Oct 23 18:48:02 UTC 2003

Thus spoke Vincent Damewood, on Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:29:39 -0700 (PDT):

> I'm not quite sure which combinations are going on
> here but assuming it really is a server problem, try
> comparing the encoding used by the servers, make sure
> it's iso-8859-1. Unicode may work, but I'm not sure,
> if it's ascii, it probably doesn't work.

That sounds like the right idea, but how do I check this?  By "servers" do you mean apache and resin (which are sharing the same config' files on all my machines) or the basic linux config's?

> You can always use HTML escapes to display the
> characters:

That would be cumbersome, at best.  My blog is read from an XML file by a servlet, so escapes in the XML are translated before the servlet even sees them, and I'd have to translate them again on the fly.  I can tell you the characters are making it to the servlet unmunged, so I rather suspect apache here.

--Jason V. C.