[PLUG] How to make labels in Open Office

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 24 10:20:29 UTC 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Carla Schroder wrote:

> OO uses frames, not a table. Now edit the
> first label on the page. It can take a bit of futzing- if the font is too
> large, making the text bigger than the frame, any text not completely visible
> cannot be selected. So shrink the fonts that show until the hidden stuff
> comes up into view.

  Here's a label problem that folks on the mail list solved with a kludge:
centering your text vertically on each label. I did some three-line labels
here (Avery 5260; 30 per sheet) and the text was cut off at the top of each
lable while there is a lot of space under the third line.

  In WordPerfect I used to fix this with the vertical advance feature. OO.o
does not have this. What was suggested to me (and I've not yet tried it) is
to put a single-cell table (perhaps a paramecium) on the label, enter text,
then use the table formatting feature to center the text in the cell.

> It helps to have 'View -> Non-printing characters' turned on.

  Hmmmm. Maybe this will help.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President