[PLUG] Linux users out in them-thar hills (w/ OT)

Daggett, Steve Steve.Daggett at fiserv.com
Fri Oct 24 11:56:28 UTC 2003

AthlonRob:
> > Lovely stuff. Glad the lifestyle is still available.
> >
> > I wonder if there are clusters of Linux users big enough in
> places like
> > Vernonia, Mist, Clatskanie, Ranier, etc. that folks might
> meet (3 - 6
> > people,  sounds like) on a monthly basis out there...
>
> There are two Linux users in St. Paul (population: 354).
> Hope Carla has
> better luck than that.  :-)

  Hey, if you live out in the sticks, make you own cluster of users...

  I met a guy in Bisby, AZ last year that was doing bang-up business
installing Linux on old broken Windows 9[58] boxen.  Bisby is located way
down in southern AZ.  It's a bit low rent.  The locals often cannot buy new
machines to run the latest offering from M$.  A modern RedHat 9 installation
is a hell of a better system than Windows 9[58].

  The guy was making enough money doing Linux installs and support to pay
rent and his bar tab.  He said his customers were *very* happy with their
Linux systems.

Steve D...