[PLUG] Monitor and Video Card question

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Fri Oct 24 15:43:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 11:17, VVV YYY wrote:
> Dear All:
>
> I have a TNT2 video card and my monitor is made by Gem.  I just installed
> RH9 on my celeron box.  It works fine.  Except that
> it cannot detect my monitor make.  It won't let me probe either.
> Is there any way I can force it to probe my monitor type?
> I went under Systems Setting -> Display but the Probe Monitor
> button is hot.

NVidia cards have been know to lock up the system when they are probed,
so you probably don't want to force the issue.

> With my TNT2 video card, it won't let me turn on hardware acceleration.  My
> video
> card does support that.  Is there anything I need to do to ask RH9 to allow
> my video card to make use of hardware acceleration?

I don't know how RH9 configures the xserver, but you need to pick out
the video driver manually.  The xserver configuration should be in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and I believe the nv drivers should work with
your card, but to get hardware acceleration, you will need to install
the binary drivers from NVidia.  I'm not sure what the RPM package name,
or tarball name is (I used a .deb), but it unpacked an executable file
called

/nvidia-graphics-drivers-1.0.4496.origx/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0.run

which used my kernel source to compile a module for the xfree86 server.
It looked for other sources of the module, so it may work differently
for you.

HTH,

Derek Loree