[PLUG] knoppix 3.3-20030924 S-L-O-W on a 1GHz celeron and 128meg or RAM

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sat Oct 25 15:27:02 UTC 2003

On Saturday 25 October 2003 2:47 pm, Russell Senior wrote:
> I was going to show my sister how great GNU/Linux was this afternoon
> and how she should consider switching from MS (more for my benefit
> than hers, reduced "service calls", or at least more interesting
> ones).  I popped in the Knoppix CD, booted right up, got a PPP
> connection pretty easily, then tried to run OpenOffice.  Jeeeeezus was
> it slow.  Took _minutes_ to get _anything_ on the screen.  Kinda blew
> the sale.  All I can figure is that there wasn't enough RAM (128 meg),
> which is enough to run a HD based installation (I've done with a lot
> less), but maybe for Knoppix is a little on the light side.  Anyone
> have similar experiences?

OO and KDE need boatloads of RAM, so you need a swap file. When you boot
Knoppix on a Linux system, it uses the existing Linux swap file. On a winduhs
system, use the command 'mkdosswapfile' (look for 'Knoppix' on the KDE menu)
to make a nice swap file. It will create a file called knoppix.swp, just
delete it when you're done.

--
Carla Schroder