[PLUG] knoppix 3.3-20030924 S-L-O-W on a 1GHz celeron and 128meg or RAM

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sat Oct 25 20:50:03 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca> writes:

Russell> Took _minutes_ to get _anything_ on the screen.  Kinda blew
Russell> the sale.  All I can figure is that there wasn't enough RAM
Russell> (128 meg), which is enough to run a HD based installation
Russell> (I've done with a lot less), but maybe for Knoppix is a
Russell> little on the light side.  Anyone have similar experiences?

Paul> Knoppix' speed is directly dependant on the speed of the CD-ROM
Paul> drive.  If that's slow, Knoppix will crawl.

It was a 52X.

The other thing I noticed was that XFree86 seemed (from "top") to be
using about 80 meg.  This is an intel D815 motherboard, with built-in
video that shares regular memory with the video card.

--
Russell Senior         ``shtal latta wos ba padre u prett tu nashtonfi
seniorr at aracnet.com      mrlosh''  -- Bashgali Kafir for ``If you have