[PLUG] Spamassassin

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Oct 27 07:48:02 UTC 2003

* Brian Beattie <beattie at beattie-home.net> [2003-10-27 04:46]:
> Well the SPAM finally got to be too much so I installed Spamassassin.
> The problem is that it is not catching the majority of my spam.  I have
> tweaked the cost of some items and trashed some spam using a kill file,
> but the most anoying one's, the ones that looking like they are some
> important update from MS don't even score very high.  What can I do to
> make Spamassassin more effective.

I made a spam-mailbox to put spam that didn't get caught. Then, I have
the following script that runs weekly, from cron:

#!/bin/sh

#Set Date
set $(date)
DOW="$1"
YEAR="$6"
MON="$2"
DOM="$3"

sa-learn --spam --mbox /home/russj/Mail/spamscan

mv /home/russj/Mail/spamscan /home/russj/.scannedspam/spamscan.$2_$3_$1

touch /home/russj/Mail/spamscan

--8<-- cut here

Make sure to also enable the auto-learn feature in your spamassassin
config file, ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs.

I suppose I should have it check to see if the spam file is larger than zero
bytes, so it only runs if I've actually added spam. Should be a simple
if statment to wrap most of the script.

I also have a ham scan file to move false positives to. I do that one
manually, since I get very few false positives. Although... It wouldnt'
be hard to make it the same script, and just pass the type (ham|spam)
and mailbox to the script...

Sorry.. thinking outloud.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #1 (Collect all 21)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke