[PLUG] Dependency Hell

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 09:14:01 UTC 2003

--- Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure this [upgrading] will help. Mandrake
has been
> pretty good with scanners since
> version 8.

Yes, but SANE has supported my CanoScan 670U only in
its latest release. Not long ago SANE's scanner
information listed this scanner as unsupported.

Are you using urpmi? That's usually
> pretty good at resolving
> dependencies, lots better than RPM.
I'll find out what it is. If it requires the
distribution disks to be inserted, as Caldera formerly
did with its dependency-resolving program, it may not
allow downloaders to get away without buying the
Powerpack.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."--Frederick Nietzsche