[PLUG] Grub cookbook for Linux?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Oct 28 10:04:02 UTC 2003

The Grub bootloader documentation is written for general *nix systems,
with a bias towards BSD.  Are there any Grub documents that are written
specifically for Linux, and have a cookbook approach?

Right now, specifically, I am looking for how to prepare a "third party"
drive.  I am building a boot drive for target machine A.  I am temporarily
mounting it as the second drive ( /dev/sda ) on workshop machine B.  So
the boot information goes into temporary /dev/sda, points at
/boot/grub/grub.conf on what will be /dev/hda1 on the target machine A,
and grub itself is running on /dev/hde1 on machine B.  I would like to
do this from the command line.

This, BTW, is the last part of a script I am writing to rebuild a drive
from backups.  Then to write a metaprogram to write such scripts.
Eventually, it will be a single command, ./rebuild , that will rebuild
a boot disk from bare metal and backups.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993