[PLUG] Linux From Scratch (LFS) anyone

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Tue Oct 28 14:51:01 UTC 2003

> Jack Morgan said:
>>>My biggest problem has
>>> been getting OpenOffice 1.1 compiled.
>>
>> You might try less agressive CFLAGS or possiblily post your error
>> messages?
>
> I just need to spend a little more time on it. The CFLAGS do need
> backing off. I'm using the binary at the moment and once I have a little
> time, I'll get a compile working.
> Though one error was I didn't have enough space for the compile.  Woo,
> that's big.

IIRC, the OpenOffice ebuild strips cflags *because* it is such a terrible
thing to build.

FWIW, I did build it (well, ever 1.0, I think) once on Gentoo.  I used
Sun's Java, even, and hacked up the ebuild to allow a few cflags through.
I didn't notice any speedups.

I tried again back in August to build it ... version 1.1-betawhatever back
then, I think.  It compiled happily for ... ohhh... about nine hours
before it finally gave out on me.  Oh, and this was on a P4 1.7GHz system.
 *sigh*

I haven't tried since then.  I just use KOffice instead, printing to PDF
files when I can't print locally so I can print from the school's
computers.  OpenOffice is there, but it isn't being used.

Rob