[PLUG] OpenOffice Compile

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Tue Oct 28 19:22:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 15:41, Mark Morgan wrote:
> AthlonRob said:
> >
> > IIRC, the OpenOffice ebuild strips cflags *because* it is such a
> > terrible thing to build.
>
> I think you might be right.  I also tried a build outside of portage and
> that one failed in a different way.

It's an evil thing to compile.  I, personally, think it is a decent
enough app to use, although it's very slow and bulky-feeling... but it
isn't meant to be compiled by the likes of you and me.

> The Binary installed easily enough, though I did 'setup -net' and was
> having a bit of a trouble with the local setups until I got rid of the old
> config files.  It also helped to install the sun-sdk instead of
> blackdown's java.

That's odd - they seem to want Blackdown instead of Sun.  I don't have
any idea why, though.  I don't like Java enough to really keep that good
a track of it.

> Now that it's working, it's working well.  (Oh, the binary ebuild isn't at
> 1.1 yet though that'll probably change in the next week.)

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -p openoffice-bin

It's there, it just isn't listed as stable yet, for some reason.

> I probably won't try the actual compile now for a few months.  Waiting 12+
> hours for the compile isn't that fun.

It isn't fun at all.  It's worse than KDE because it seems to bomb out
more frequently.  Oh well.  :-)

Rob