[PLUG] Floppy-based VPN toaster w/ clever routing

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Tue Oct 28 19:30:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 14:51, AthlonRob wrote:

> I didn't catch Jeme's original message...

Just caught some more of it.

> But OpenVPN is capable of tunnelling over SSL using the tap interface.
>
> It's different than most VPN solutions I've seen, but it seems to do the
> job nicely for what I need.

If I were setting up such a thing, a router acting as a VPN bridge, too,
so users at both end can't tell they're being VPN'd, as though they were
plugged in to the same switching hub... I'd go for OpenVPN utilizing the
tap driver set up to do bridging.

It's what I do for my laptop.  When I'm at school, I fire up OpenVPN on
the desktop machine at home (via SSH), add the tap0 interface to the br0
bridge (which already exists), give an IP to tap0 (for whatever reason,
it seems to need an IP whereas a physical interface doesn't), and away I
go, packets flying.

I don't have to do any special configuration on the laptop's side of
things except to assign tap0 an IP address and run openvpn.

Rob