[PLUG] httpd dead but subsys locked

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Tue Oct 28 23:50:03 UTC 2003

Thus spoke Billy Dimaculangan, on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:09:33 +0800:

> i'm having problem with this httpd service. when i check the status of
> my httpd  is says "httpd dead bu PID exist" . after i deleted the PID
> file and run the httpd when i check the status it says httpd is
> running. but after i check it again is  says "httpd dead but PID
> exsist". again i deleted PID and run the service but the error is says
> "httpd dead but subsys locked". i'm new to this kind of problem, need
> help!

I believe I had this same problem the other day.  There was some kind of kernel lock on apache's "scoreboard file".  Which can happen after restarting apache too many times.  The easiest fix is to comment the line in your httpd.conf that reads:

ScoreBoardFile conf/httpd.scoreboard

I'm not sure, but I read that file just isn't very important.

--Jason V. C.