[PLUG] Checking a taper backup...

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Wed Oct 29 14:39:01 UTC 2003

I may have actually gotten it to work.  I backed up full a redhat 6.2
system and restored that to a directory in an area I have some extra
space.  How can I essentially do an md5sum of the original files and
the restored ones verifying that they are the same short of tarring
the files I want to back up first and md5 summing that tarball to
compare it to a restored copy later?

I've put limited data on the tape before thinking the tape might not
be rolling for larger backups, though it looks like the hard disk simply
filled up with the info file instead.  Should I put the info file on
a zip or something?  What are the files that taper creates anyways?

Maybe the temporary area for tarring the whole filesystem filled up
causing the approach of tarring directly to tape to fail.

     --  Michael C. Robinson