[PLUG] Mandrake 9.2 can kill your CD Drive

Grigsby, Garl garl.grigsby at plms-eds.com
Thu Oct 30 15:46:01 UTC 2003

>   I've been using an LG cdrom drive (connected to the
> notebook via a pcmcia
> card) and it's worked just fine on the rare times I've needed
> it. This drive
> was supported by the pcmcia.dsk with Slackware-8.1 but not
> with -9.0 or
> -9.1. Shrug. The cdrom drive's OK based on my experience.

I'm sure there are good drives out there, but I haven't run into any yet. HP started using IDE LG drives on their C series HPUX systems about 2 years ago. In the last year and a half we have had to replace 12 cd drives (and we only have 8 of these machines). I have also seen 2 cd drives replaced in DELL laptops in the last year, all of which were LGs. I guess I just hope from a little more reliability than that.