[PLUG] web based news feeds

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Thu Oct 30 21:16:02 UTC 2003

Sasha Romanosky said:

> Does anyone know of a great web based news feed app/script for
> linux? I'd like something that I can cron every 6 hours or so to
> pull
> highlights from slashdot, register, google, etc. I've seen a few on
> freshmeat, but nothing that makes me tingle.

Slashdot and ElReg have RSS feeds, which you could use one of many
decent RSS aggregators. I like Straw if you swing the Gnome way.
Actually, I like the Summary page in Evolution as well as anything.

Google (News, I assume?) is tougher, but a quick '"google news" rss'
googling (meta-googling?) reveals an experimental Google News -> RSS
converter:

http://www.voidstar.com/gnews2rss.php

Huzzah.

-Dan Young