[PLUG] Laptop battery time remaining with acpi, not apm

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 31 15:39:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Jason Van Cleve wrote:

> Is ACPI working for you at all?  Do you see anything useful in
> /proc/acpi/battery/*?

Jason,

  Yes. It's all there.

  According to Lincoln Durey at EmperorLinux, Sony has removed apm from the
Vaio and there are problems with the 2.4.22 kernel with some built-in
capabilities (I don't recall just which).

> ACPI in kernel 2.4.20 is all but hopeless, requiring a special dsdt file
> to be compiled into your source tree, which has to match your BIOS
> version, etcetera.  But 2.4.22 (and 2.6.0) worked for me without any
> rigamarole.

  I'll pass this on to him. They -- Emperor Linux -- tweak the kernel for
each machine they sell so as to fully support all the hardware. I've no idea
what I'd break by booting the stock Slackware 2.4.22 kernel; of course, I
can always try. :-)

> Once you have that going, you can use acpid to manage power events, such
> as low battery warnings.

  Sony is supposed to have a 'vaiobat' utilitiy, but I cannot find it on the
hard drive. I've sent an e-mail asking for it but have not yet received a
response.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President