[PLUG] unable to mount ext3 file system

Mark Martin mmartin at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 1 14:50:02 UTC 2003

On Friday 29 August 2003 23:29, Josh Orchard wrote:
> > Notice all my <device> have a partation # except for cdroms.
> >
> > I have never seen <device> as hdb......
> >
> > Just my $0.02
> >
> > HTH
>
> hmm.  I think I see the errors of my way.  I hate this.
>
> Ok.  For some reason I was able to write to a filesystem that had no
> partitions. So, now I'm starting over.  I have to create partitions then
> run mkfs.ext3 again.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong.  but for some reason the partitions were never
> created and I have this feeling that will be a bad thing.  And I still have
> 360GB of data to move or so.
>
> Josh

Josh,

No reason to panic.  Drives don't have to have partitions and are perfectly
happy without them, which means that you can make a filesystem on them and
access the files without weird consequence.  I can't explain the
inconsistency in the mount commands on the different systems with authority.
But it just seems like a quirk of the particular hardware/software
combination and not a reason for concern.  Maybe the IBM drive controller
internally treats a drive without partitions as a drive with a single
partition and the newer version of mount retrieves this information from the
drive whereas the previous version didn't?

Don't worry,

Mark
Mark A. Martin, Ph.D.
Applied Mathematics -- Software Development -- Systems Administration
Currently available for employment.
See http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin/resume/ for details.