[PLUG] Q: comparison of video formats

Karl Kulaga root at loraksus.d2g.com
Tue Sep 2 00:22:02 UTC 2003

Ok, a couple of things.
.wmv blows, don't even consider using it if you want anything resembling
quality. PITA for macs too.

re: the 4gb limit - convert the drive to ntfs, that should get rid of that
problem. Of course if this is a dual boot. . .  file size limit is something
like 20,000 terrabytes or some insane amount that you will never be able to
fill (note, this WILL come back to haunt me in 15-20 years)

There is a great program called virtualdub - free and is painfully easy to
use. Runs on windows. Very small.
I'd say capture raw avi, then open the file in virtualdub and compress.
There are a bunch of effects you can do with virtusldub too - check their
website for more goodies. You can capture too, as long as you aren't running
an ati card (because their video in/out chipsets, much like their drivers,
lick the salt off of a harry camel's nutsack, but enough ranting for now. .
. .) You'll probably have to do some work with the sound to make it sync,
but whatever. Or just capture how you are now ;)
Something like xvid 2-pass / divx 5 2-pass will give you quite nice results.
Since you're going for the whole compatibility thing, xvid is probably what
you are going after. Certainly 2 pass. Quality is tons better - a bit more
work, but well worth it.

I'm not sure what resolution you are capturing at either. That info would be
helpful. Basically what I'm saying is that if you're capturing at a greater
resolution than what your output format supports

(i.e. svcd supports 480?480 @ 29.97 fps)
This site is pretty useful.
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:G5Wd7Vn3Z9UJ:www.uwasa.fi/~f76998/video
/svcd/faq/+svcd+resolution&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

4. Does anyone have experience with Moviex?  I found a website that
mentioned this -- it is MPlayer combined with a minimal Linux setup
that you can use to make a bootable CD-ROM for about 8MB.  (Then
again, people are less likely to bother watching the video if they
need to reboot.)
	Sorry, sounds cool though, more info?

5. If I stick with MPEG-1, is there a way to make a VCD with "extra
content" (the JPEGs and text files) so that someone can pop it into a
DVD player that understands VCDs, and see the video, but if they pop
it into a computer, they can access the other stuff?

See the above site. Nero has a plugin.

http://www.divx-digest.com/ has a ton of info, but more related to divx
encoding, a bunch of stuff for burning to dvd via mpeg 2 though, might be
helpful.
The www.dvdrhelp.com forums are sort of helpful.