[PLUG] [Fwd: Verify plug-admin at lists.pdxlinux.org for dduncan at hexi.com]

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Sep 2 09:38:01 UTC 2003

Paul Johnson wrote:

>>Do you employ any spam limiting software? Even rules in your MUA? Then
>>what's the difference?
>

> You're not making it a pain in the ass for the people you want to mail
> you to do so.  That's the important part.  I *won't* subscribe to
> someone else's inbox, end of story.

Who said anything about you subscribing? I'll write a procmail rule to
readdress it to you, and then it's your email.

You are the one who stated anyone should be able to send you email. I'm
simply stating that is no longer a viable paradigm to operate under.

You didn't answer my question. Do you have any spam filtering rules in
place? Do you use something like spamassassin, or something in your MUA
to filter spam out of your email?

AND, it's not a pain in the ass to send ONE ADDITIONAL EMAIL to get
added to the white list. Inconvienent... maybe. Hit reply and send. Two
keystrokes/mouseclicks. Sounds pretty simple to me. You do this for
nearly every mail list you subscribe to already.

But, if you can't be bothered to send ONE ADDITIONAL EMAIL, then I
probably don't want your damned email anyway.

I filter my phone calls with caller id. If it says "Out of area" or
"Unknown", then I left the answering machine get it. It's my line, and I
can choose to accept or reject calls as I see fit. Email is exactly the
same. USPS is the same too. When I sort out junk mail from my postal
stream, I rarely open the mail that's obviously junk.

> If they want my mail, they get to operate in an open environment.

Maybe they don't want your email? Ever think of that? Either that, or
it's just not important enough for you to contact that person.
(Remember, that's ONE ADDITIONAL EMAIL.)

At this point, it's your call if it's important enough. They've already
made a decision to require validation. That's their right, as they pay
for the connection to the 'net.

> You pay more to the garbage company to dispose of it than you do
> bandwidth for email, yet you somehow find postal junk mail
> defensable but legitimate email something to harrangue your
> correspondents over.  Cute.  Sure got your priorities straight there.

Actually, no, I don't, recycling is free. I have to have garbage
service, and the bins don't cost me extra. In fact, I can use a smaller
waste can because I recycle. You sure thought out that one.

If I lived in Eugene, they DEDUCT from my garbage bill for recycling.
Almost all junk mail is fully recyclable, and that's exactly where I put
it.

--
Russ Johnson
Stargate Online