[PLUG] Many CVS questions

Evan Heidtmann clydefrog at adnap.no-ip.com
Tue Sep 2 19:47:01 UTC 2003

Hello.

I am in the process of configuring CVS on my server. I am not using CVS
for any reason other than it's the only thing I had heard of in the open
source area. Here are my requirements for the source control system:

1. It must have a simple interface. WinCVS works fine, but command line
tools won't suffice (it will be used by other people that do not have
(or want to have) any linux experience).

2. Users must be able to access it over the internet, and they must be
able to access it *securely*. I want both the passwords and data
exchanged over the network AND my system as a whole to be secure.  I'd
like to give the users as little capability on the system as possible
(i.e. no command line).

3. I must be able to install it on my RedHat 7.3 without disrupting too
much existing stuff. The most important things are apache, sendmail,
gnu-pop3d, and ssh (SFTP in particular).

I have set up CVS on my system, using SSH as the access protocol. If I
stay with this setup, I will need some sort of shell to allow only CVS
and SFTP access. I have been so far unsuccessful in finding such a program.

Assuming I stick with CVS, I have the following question:

How can I add a module to the list of modules? I can import modules just
fine, and I can checkout a module if I know the name of it. But if I
don't know the name of it, the command 'cvs checkout -c' produces no
output and the only way I can get a list of modules is to look at the
repository directory.

Thanks!
Evan