[PLUG] MS Access Equivalent

Zot O'Connor zot at whiteknighthackers.com
Tue Sep 2 23:39:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 16:20, Holger Stephan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a database system similar to MS Access on Linux? Or, better,
> something that runs on Linux and Windows?

You want to state your requirements a bit better.

MS Access is many things to many people.

It is a forms/UI/DB application thingy.  It can be used to make a pretty
darn good app to interact with a DB (any ODBC connection).  It is not
stateless like the web, so it can do some real interaction with the DB.
It is quick and easy.  It ports fairly well to VB and Visual C.  It is
hard to beat for non-DB programmers for creating quick and dirty DB
thingies.  So this part has a few parts:  Forms, Reports, DB Setup

It is also a database itself.  Anyone with DB experience will tell you
how crappy it is, but that is how people use it.

So if you need a DB, use *Anything* else.

If you need a portable DB UI thingie you have a few choices:

1)  Web based.  PHP/Perl/ASP/Cold Fusion will handle most DB real well.
There are a number of script based interfaces that do the DB setup
(pgAdmin, myAdmin, etc.).

2)  runtime app based.  pgAcess is not bad.  I have not done forms with
it though.

3) Programmed.  There are a ton of environments that you can make killer
apps that work on many OSes.  [Perl|Tcl]/TK , Python, and Kylix are two
I have seen.

4)  Office Suite Based.  Open Office is supposed to do this.  I have not
tried.  I think there are Koffice tools.  There are several that fit
here or in #2.

So decide what you want and what you need.  If web based, pick a Linux
server drop Apache, PHP and Postgres, and phpPgAdmin on the server and
design away.

The others will require people to answer with more experience.