[PLUG] [Fwd: Verify plug-admin at lists.pdxlinux.org for dduncan at hexi.com]

Jeff Schwaber freyley at gmx.net
Wed Sep 3 08:12:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 04:14, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:59:14AM -0700, Russ Johnson wrote:
> > We deal with it, because the alternative is we are overrun with junk
> > email. If I wasn't blocking mail, then my signal to noise ratio would be
> > near 2:10. 2 legitimate emails for every 10 emails received. I kid you
> > not. Fully 40% or better is rejected by postfix, and then 70% of what
> > gets delivered to me is still junk. I had a personal best the other day
> > of 77% of mail was rejected by postfix. That's BEFORE spamassassin got a
> > hold of it. Spam sucks, and I'll do many things to reduce it to a
> > managable level. That doesn't include a C/R system yet, but I'm close..
> > Real close.
>
> I was there once.  Make yourself a hostile target and report
> spammers.  I got my users to report spam themselves (and if they're
> lazy, forwarding me their spam), my site is a pretty hostile target.
> Spammers learn, though slowly.

You know, I vaguely remember there being a law against sending spam in
Oregon or Washington, not sure which, but I thought it was Oregon, and
there being stories of people successfully getting checks for $300-$500
out of spamming companies by sending them letters threatening to sue in
small claims court. Anyone know anything about this? I have the time, i
could go after spammers...

Jeff