[PLUG] lsof

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Thu Sep 4 05:53:01 UTC 2003

On 3 Sep 2003, Dirk Ouellette hapibeli-at-comcast.net |PDX Linux| wrote:

> When trying to find a file that I think may be open, and instead of
> searching through every screen of #/usr/sbin/lsof, can I use grep to
> do a more refined, and quicker search?

If you already know the file you want to check, just:

lsof <filename>

You could also use:

fuser -u <filename>

(I think this works on Linux, but don't have a box handy to check with.)

One of the most common uses I have for lsof is to see what process is
listening on a given TCP port:

lsof -i tcp:80

Shows all processes that have TCP port 80 open.

  -- Steve