[PLUG] MS Access Equivalent

Steve Jorgensen jorgens at coho.net
Thu Sep 4 07:24:02 UTC 2003

On Thursday, September 04, 2003 2:36 AM, Paul Johnson
[SMTP:baloo at ursine.ca] wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:49:46PM -0700, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> > Now, regarding whether a database server is superior to a client-based
> > database engine with file shareing, there are cases where the file
sharing
> > system is superior.
>
> Until you discover that the file-sharing system doesn't handle
> simultaneous transactions cleanly and it's a great way to corrupt data
> over time.  Database servers are easier to set up, too, so it's best
> just do it the Right Way.

Well, MS bashing is fun, but Access has managed to pretty much wipe DBase,
Paradox, et al. right off the map for a reason.  It works pretty well.
 Also, JET is the file-based database.  Access is a database front-end that
includes JET if that's what you want to use.  And for all the disadvantages
of a file-based system, it has plenty of advantages.
Some databases need relational and weak ACID capabilities, but they are
used more in the context of documents than in the context of repositories.
 You want to be able to make copies and open them on the fly like
documents, etc.  If server daemons are such a great idea, why doesn't
Gnumeric install a spreadsheet server?  Regarding the file corruption
issue, most Access database corruption (in the back-end data files) arises
from faulty NICs on an unswitched LAN and rarely occurs on a
well-maintained LAN.  I've supported systems in production for years that
demonstrate this.
I'm not saying Access is perfect - I bitch about it every day, and
Microsoft's new licensing, only a Mother could love.  Every time I look for
something else with the advantages Access has for my clients, though, I
don't find it.  I'm hoping Meargent or Open Office reaches a point where it
can work as a viable replacement soon, but as yet, they're not there.