[PLUG] no more /dev/hda6

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Sep 4 14:06:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 13:58, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> I've got a remote server that I visited today. It was running very badly
> and I couldn't figure it out. After an hour, I went for a reboot.
>
> On reboot, I discovered that it did not think it still had a /dev/hda6
> swap partition. dmseg shows:
>
> Partition check:
>  hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >
>  hdb: [PTBL] [1247/255/63] hdb1 hdb2 < hdb5 hdb6 hdb7 hdb8 hdb9 >
>
> and
>
> EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
> EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
> EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
> EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
>

> The system has been up for a year or so, maybe two. I ran:
> # fsck /dev/hda6
> fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
> fsck: fsck.swap: not found
> fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.swap for /dev/hda6
>
> What do I do next? I have current backups, but I don't want to trash the
> partition table.
>
> I'm looking to see how to find fsck.swap, it seems to be missing
> somehow...

When you run fsck /some/partition it seems to check that partition type
and call fsck.thatpartitiontype.  In this case, it seems /dev/hda6 is a
swap partition, so it goes looking for fsck.swap, which it isn't finding
(and for good reason).

So, it seems /dev/hda6 is a swap partition.  You don't fsck those.

Check /etc/fstab and see what you have there that might need to be
fsck'd.  :-)

Rob