[PLUG] no more /dev/hda6

Mark Martin mmartin at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 4 18:07:02 UTC 2003

On Thursday 04 September 2003 14:17, Grigsby, Garl wrote:
> Doh! I guess I should read the message more carefully (and turn my brain
> on). You won't have a fsck.swap because you don't fsck swap partitions. Try
> fdisking the drive to see what is really in the partition table. Does hda6
> exist? If not, then it maybe something old that is left over in you fstab
> file. If it does exist, you might still try reformatting it.
>
> Garl

Mike,

Another possibility that you might want to consider is that the drive is
failing.  You might want to check your logs for warnings and errors when
attempting to do I/O on the drive.  If it is failing, you'll want to move
everything off of it and onto a replacement drive a.s.a.p.  Drive failures
are the most frequent hardware failures and they happen more often than most
people would expect.

Mark
Mark A. Martin, Ph.D.
Applied Mathematics -- Software Development -- Systems Administration
Currently available for employment.
See http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin/resume/ for details.