[PLUG] MS Access Equivalent

Jeff Schwaber freyley at gmx.net
Thu Sep 4 21:53:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 21:45, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:36:28AM -0700, Holger Stephan wrote:
> > Works like a charm and costs next to nothing.
>
> Don't take this the wrong way, but are you high, or just loaded with
> money and forgotten the value of a dollar?  MS Access is $279 per
> user.  In your scenario, how does $558 equate to "next to nothing?"
> For that money, I could go apt-get install mysql and go spend that
> $558 on rent and groceries and *still* have money left in my wallet.

Yes, but at $120/hr, which is what I believe Wil charges for consulting
services, the scripts to do with mysql which a computer literate college
graduate making $12/hr could do (assuming the same amount of time for
the scripts vs the gui) works out to about the same. And you don't have
to bring the consultant back in to change something minor in Access.

Access corrupts data, it's a closed, proprietary format, and its default
format is not an ACID-compliant database, but I can teach a monkey to
use it.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I even bothered to contribute to this, except
to say that I am very sad that there is not a good set of gui database
management tools out there for Linux, but either I don't know of them,
or they don't exist (and don't point me to a window wrapper around the
mysql command line. I'm talking about something that saves time. It's
true, when you're writing large applications, large databases, etc,
command line stuff saves time. But when you're putting together
something small, something quick and dirty, or something just quickly, a
full-fledged database SUCKS. Actually writing SQL for it SUCKS. And
nobody has recognized this.

I think I lost track of a parenthese.

Jeff