[PLUG] Saving bandwidth...

Jeff Schwaber freyley at gmx.net
Fri Sep 5 01:52:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 01:10, Paul Johnson wrote:

> > > Then how are you sending or getting replies to them?
> >
> > My ISP, and various of my accounts that do have SMTP servers, all use
> > authenticated SMTP.
>
> Then you *do* have SMTP servers for all those accounts, you're just
> using your ISP's to send instead.

No, I do not.

Examine this example: accounts a and b.

Account A has POP or IMAP access only -- on their servers, there is no
SMTP server that I am allowed to use.

Account B has a POP or IMAP server, but also an authenticated SMTP
server.

To send email from account A, I log in to the SMTP server for Account B,
authenticate, and then send an email whose From: header says Account A,
thereby forging the signature, technically.

Jeff