[PLUG] Q: comparison of video formats

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Fri Sep 5 07:54:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 01:17, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 11:05:08PM -0700, AthlonRob wrote:
> > Ugh... Debian's apt system is way too cumbersome and ugly for my use.
>
> Never try any of the frontends, like gnome-apt, kpacakge, or aptitude?

You misunderstand.

Any binary-based package management system, IMHO, sucks totally.  I use
binary packages only as a last resort, because they tend to be
cumbersome and ugly.  If you start throwing wild dependencies into the
mix, it only gets uglier.

Gentoo's portage system I can stand to use.  It's *very simple* to get
it to do exactly what I want it to do, then it tracks packages enough to
make uninstallation simple enough.  On any real... production system...
I compile most everything from source, using Slackware's setup as a nice
customizable base.

Rob