[PLUG] MS Access Equivalent

Cliff Wells logiplex at qwest.net
Fri Sep 5 10:31:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 10:12, david pool wrote:

> Some of the Uber-sensitive folks moved over to PdxLug, but yes there are
> still plenty of OT sensitive folks on this list. I suppose what annoys
> me the most is the amount of bandwidth that ends up being wasted by
> people saying "This is sooooo off topic, blah, blah, blah, take it off
> list: Is not: Is too: IS NOT: IS TOO...etc". The irony slays me.

On some international lists, the bandwidth issue is real (they pay by
the kb in some countries).  Here in Portland it's rather lame to
complain about receiving 10k of unwanted topic.

> Which isn't to say people don't stray off topic, but it's just not that
> hard to ignore a thread (IMHO). Occasionally a designated list admin has
> stepped in to ask that a thread be moved off line, but that's
> exceedingly rare.

Typically I don't mind OT threads.  I spend a lot of time on usenet and
mailing lists and there is always a percentage of OT conversations. I've
seen threads in comp.lang.python covering everything from history,
politics, language (the human kind), gun control, etc.  All *way* OT,
but that's part of engaging in conversations with intellectual people.
I think if you find a list that *never* strays OT you've probably found
a bunch of boring monodendrites ;)

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer