[PLUG] Package management (was : Q: comparison of video formats)

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Fri Sep 5 11:56:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 11:41, Felix Lee wrote:

> After installing Gentoo... I've discovered I need a _lot_ more
> disk to do a debuggable source-based installation these days.
> And more ram and cpu power would help for building all those
> things that want to compile with -O3 or so.

You don't have to make it debuggable to let it take up lots of room...

If you don't go through and clean up after portage, it tends to eat a
lot of hard drive space... I play with this system *a lot* ... and
regularly clear out 2+ GB (which is significant since Linux has 10GB of
space on this ol' laptop).

Rob