[PLUG] Re: Creating vector plots: xfig? sketch? Something else?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 5 12:07:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Mark Martin wrote:

> I missed your question in all of the recent shouting about Access and the
> absolute superiority of some distros over others.  You might also take a look
> at Xmgrace, which descended from Xmgr.  It is available at
>
> http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/
>
> It has very nice features, is more polished than Xfig (which I also like very
> much), and gives you complete control over your plots.  But I haven't played
> with the spline feature and can't say whether it will satisfy your needs.

Mark,

  Polished, schmolished. As long as it creates the figures I'm happy.
There's also xfigure (or something like that).

  After trying to figure out gnuplot a number of years ago I stumbled across
Gri and I've used that ever since for scientific data plots. When I asked
the authors why they wrote it -- since it essentially duplicates gnuplot --
they told me that they weren't aware of gnuplot (!!) so they created their
own for oceanic research.

  And, of course, in the bitmapped graphic world, there's GIMP, xv and a
bunch of others.

  Because I'm essentially a really lazy curmudgeon, I pick one that does
what I need to have done, learn it and go on to trying to make money.

Thanks for the pointer,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)