[PLUG] Re: Creating vector plots: xfig? sketch? Something else?

Mark Martin mmartin at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 5 14:18:09 UTC 2003

On Friday 05 September 2003 12:05, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Mark,
>
>   Polished, schmolished.

Rich,

To beat a dead horse (since you already found a solution you like), part of
what I mean by "polished" is "less buggy".  I've had Xfig crash at
inopportune moments (Of course, I not sure when the opportune moments to
crash are.) but I've never had this problem with Xmgrace.  Xfig has been
around for over 10 years, in my recollection, but it's still a little rough
around the edges.  (Maybe Xfig's development community is no longer very
large or maybe even nonexistent?)

I just read your additional posting and I know the difference between vector
and raster graphics.  Xmgrace allows you to create vector plots and it will
create Postscript (encapsulated or otherwise), PDF, and SVG (i.e. scalable
vector graphics) output, which *are* vector formats.  It also allows you to
use splines, which is what you said you needed.  But, if it isn't for you, it
isn't for you.  Flame away, if you must.

Mark
Mark A. Martin, Ph.D.
Applied Mathematics -- Software Development -- Systems Administration
Currently available for employment.
See http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin/resume/ for details.