[PLUG] inetd

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Mon Sep 8 15:13:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 14:52, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Will someone please remind me why running inetd is not a good idea? I
> don't run it, but I could not explain to someone else why not. I forgot!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich
>
> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

I think it's because inetd doesn't have any throttling capability.
Something about stampede, inetd not doing well in situations
where a herd requests service all at once.  I also
believe that xinetd is considered cleaner because services
can be put into their own files and the functionality of
tcp_wrappers is part of xinetd.

One problem I have with xinetd is not knowing the syntax so
that I can write control files for certain services.  In the
inetd days most everything was there and you just uncommented
a service to enable it.

I believe xinetd has traffic shaping functionality that inetd
does not have.  Something in the howto about inetd becoming
unreliable under heavy load was under the xinetd HOWTO if
I remember correctly.

     --  Michael