[PLUG] inetd

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 8 15:33:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Michael C. Robinson wrote:

> I think it's because inetd doesn't have any throttling capability.
> Something about stampede, inetd not doing well in situations where a herd
> requests service all at once.

Michael,

  According to the notice from the Slackware security e-mail I received
(which prompted my question), inetd would shut down if 250 requests came in
over a short period of time. And, it would remain shut down for 10 minutes.
So, a DoS could be effective by sending a very few packets every 10 minutes
and keeping 'Net services shut off.

  It may be that xinetd avoids the problem.

  But, neither appear to be required so why run them anyway?

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)